Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Never Ending Scarf: PT 1

Thus begins my saga of the never ending scarf. It is a day filled with glorious rays of golden sun. For the area of MI where I live this is a rarity this October.
I'm calmly meandering through the LYS running my hands along the skeins of yarn in hopes of choosing the next orphan that will join my stash As I do so a fluffy pure wool in a woodsy brown catches my fansy. I may have been able to resist the price 13$ per hank but the scarf that was coyly draped over the back of the couch was to much. I snapped up 2 hanks in my zeal to adopt a new orphaned project. I couldn't wait to recreate this scarf of pure wonder.
The pattern was simple enough I discover. I mean how difficult can a scarf knitted on size 13 needles with a pattern of K3 P3 for the first row and K1 P1 for the second row be? An idiot with a less than stellar intellect could knit this. Hell a beginner knitter could knit this since gauge doesn't matter! What the deceptive directions fail to mention is that you need an extra helping of fortitude because this takes for fricken ever! I've been working on this damn scarf for 6 days and I just started to knit with the second skein? If this thing isn't long enough when I finish the second skein I'm going to blow an artery.
The sad part of my mini story is despite the fibers that come off this wool that make me sneeze, in spite of how much time it is taking me to knit this scarf and despite the wrist pain I'm having that stole a day of knitting; I'm buying more of this yarn. Why you ask? I'm going to crochet mittens to match! Fucked up? Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment