Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thoughts On Stash

Today was one of those days when I wonder who I pleased in the cosmic order of things. On any given day when my credit card is able to I like to spend money at the LYS. Since the economy sucks giving the LYS my business is always a generous and not to mention rewarding way to spend my time being unemployed. If I can't find a job might as well help others keep the jobs they have right?
Tangents aside--I totally hit yarn pay dirt! Since apparently Veterans Day= yarn sale at Michaels! Remind me to thank the Veterans for not only serving our country but for making me a very satisfied knitter/crocheter. Normally I'm a disappointed knitter when I visit Michaels; because to put it nicely I'm a yarn whore. I want the wool, the bamboo, the organic cotton, the silk and wool nylon blends and I don't want it for cheap! What knitter or crocheter hasn't had that moment when you realize that; yes in fact you are a yarnaholic. I knew when I learned to crochet that I liked yarn but it was when I learned to knit that I realized I had a dirty, filthy, sordid and sometimes clandestine affair with fibers.
The best part about being a yarn whore? My stash grew exponentially today. I found pretty Paytons Grace yarn that is screaming at me to knit socks. Did I mention turning the heel is a slightly panicky endeavor that requires red wine and dark chocolate? Perhaps that is why I'm having to pick out rows and reknit them.
I also found some pretty colors that will make quick dishcloths when I need a gift in a hurry. Last but not least is the lovely bamboo yarn that is yelling at me to buy more of its kind and make a silky soft wrap that will have just the right amount of drape to look eloquent when it is around my shoulders.
With all the talk about yarn I leave you with some thoughts about stash.

1. Stash is yours unless you decide to share. Should the compunction to share overtake you suggest to fellow knitters that Christmas, Easter, first day of summer and the first days of autumn are good days to share or swap yarn. In case someone is curious about the choice of days remind them that all those days fall at 3 month intervals; which gives you ample time to grow bored with yarn. Can that actually happen?
2. Stash organization often reflects components of an individuals personality. My stash is organized by fiber content and usability factors. The crap yarn that I will use to make itchy scarves for my relatives that I rarely see is in one box along with the chunky acrylic that I use when I'm an unappreciative fast knitter. The wool and all other plant or animal based fibers are in another box that is safely tucked away from my bad itchy yarn karma that will surely catch up with me one day.
3. Cats love stash which makes me love the lids that fit over my yarn boxes. Perhaps though; I'll leave the lid off of the crappy yarn. Wonder if the relatives are allergic to cats?

No comments:

Post a Comment